Thursday, 15 October 2009

Cosmetic advert





Target audience: 16-20
Gender:
Male






Codes and conventions

The design of the advert is showing the product “High Guard” behind mountains and over a lake, it’s appeal is to people who believe themselves to be pretty outgoing and the advert is designed to make the Audience think that if they use the deodorant their lives will contain a little more adventure. I have chosen the adventure genre because it appeals to people of my target age group and demographic. The backpack on the character suggests the product is for people that have to walk or bike to their destination (students). The slogan is very simple it makes the viewer feel good about themselves, and is effective and simple to remember. The lighting in the shot is extremely ambient and bright, no spot lighting is used creating the sense that the advert is very friendly and not harsh. The costume in the advertisement is simple trouser and shirt easily showing the advert to be of my chosen demographic. The positing of the product is at the back of the shot dominating mountain ranges creating the feel that the product is all mighty and that it is something to be truly desired. The slogan is simple and gives a clear message it is imbedded in the advertisement imagery giving the impression that everything is a part of the advert even the audience. The character within the advert are represented in a positive light showing a sport and more active group of peoples, the narrative of the advert is clear it is of a person or possibly group of people trying perilously to reach their destination of the deodorant. The character is displayed as in ore of the sight however irritated at its un-attainability; a subtle reference to the impatience commonly associated with the target audience.

Representation

Social groups are often represented in unfair ways, such as so called hoody’s, who are shown as violent and out of control. My advert I would hope does not represent any social group negatively, I would hope that its shows how social classes can be broken down and no group has to be represented in any negative way, although I would wager that it shows my target audience as a much more positive representation of young people than they are represented in the media.

Target audience

My target audience is demographically male and is comprised of the age range of 16-20, the group in particular I am targeting would have to be students who’s lives seem tedious and full of work and my product can put some adventure back into their lives. The demographic who I would most believe that my product would sell to is the young who are to be outgoing and adventurous already and they buy my deodorant to suit that life style. The media interests of my chosen audience would be stations on TV such as E4 and TMF also branching into the sun newspaper.

Evaluation

There are a few notable weaknesses of my advert firstly the quality is slightly lacking this is due to the poor quality of pictures used within it and a novice approach to photo editing programs, in saying this however I do believe the advert to be overall effective media text showing of a product. The advertisements strengths lie in its slogan and message showing the product as something that is worth having clearly demonstrating it is for sport people and giving a sense of adventure to the product itself. I believe I have met my brief to a satisfactory standard I would have liked my advertisement to be clearer on the target demographic however in doing this I would have spoiled the overall look of the advert and so it was necessary to not meet this target to its fullest requirement.

1 comment:

  1. You need to post your assessed cosmetic advertisement and evaluation, to include the assessment sheet.

    Advert: B Evaluation:B Combined mark B 75%

    ReplyDelete